THE HORSE WHISPERING WAY
A Journey of Discovery and Connection for Teens and Parents
For Adolescents and Teens Ages 12-17

A horse whisperer is a horse trainer who adopts a sympathetic view of the motives, needs, and desires of the horse, based on natural horsemanship and modern equine psychology. The term goes back to the early nineteenth century when an Irish horseman made a name for himself in England by rehabilitating horses that had become unmanageable due to trauma. We also know it as horse gentling, a method of training that doesn’t use horse “breaking” to render a horse ride-able. The “technology-free” week with horses is designed to help teens and parents reconnect and discover a shared, authentic language of communication, love, and respect. The eight-day program is open to teens and adolescents age 12 to 17 and an accompanying parent or parents. Through experiential learning exercises with horses, parents and teens will be introduced to life skills known as Emotional Intelligence. Research indicates Emotional Intelligence is responsible for 80% of success in life, with cognitive abilities contributing to the remaining 20%. In addition, we will explore the power of non-verbal communication (90% of the way we actually communicate with each other), the establishment and maintenance of healthy boundaries, and methods for increasing our presence, self-awareness, and empathy. There will be classes for teens alone and parents alone for separate learning experiences, as well as combined.

WHAT YOU WILL GAIN FROM THIS PROGRAM:

  • Heightened Self-Awareness, Self Esteem, and Self Confidence.
  • The Development of Healthy Boundaries for Self Care (resilience to peer pressure).
  • Understanding How to Use Emotions As Information ~ Discerning Between Their Your Emotions and the Emotions of Others
  • Move Beyond Self-Limiting Thought Patterns\
  • Learning to Envision a Goal ~ And Then Achieve It!
  • Replace Rigid Judgment with Tolerance and Acceptance
  • Have a Lot of Fun!

Why we work with horses...

As prey animals, horses are highly sensitive to their surroundings. They naturally sense and reflect emotions, intention, and non-verbal communication. Horses use emotions as information and help teach us about our own Emotional Intelligence. The exercises with the horses enables us to personally experience and discover new perspectives in self-awareness and our communication styles. They also allow us the space to understand how we have the power to care for ourselves while caring for those around us. And...it’s fun!

Rancho Ricco is honored to have as its director for the program, Terrance Murray, Approved Epona Instructor and Adaptive Coach

Terry Murray apprenticed for more than a year with Epona founder and bestselling author, Linda Kohanov, studying the human/horse relationship and its applications for personal development and therapeutic process. In 2009, Linda and Terry co-created the Warriors in Transition Workshop. Terry is also a member of the board of directors for the nonprofit EponaQuest Foundation. He is the founder of Performance Transformation, LLC and teaches programs with horses designed to facilitate Leadership skills, along with a number of successful programs partnering with horses to help build emotional intelligence, resilience, empathy, non-verbal communication, self-awareness, self-care, healthy boundaries and healthier family interactions. Terry and his wife, Sarah, will bring an understanding of natural horsemanship, psychology, core emotional systems, and the experience of working with teens on their personal challenges.


Click Here to Send us an Email

Return to Welcome Page